Saturday, August 23, 2008

How we became Whole: The Prequel

Breton and I talked of our desire to have a large family when were dating. When I became pregnant 1 month after we were married, we felt we were well on our way.

Then, during the last month of pregnancy, I became quite ill. After delivering Amulek via emergency c-section, I ended up in the hospital again. There I was diagnosed with Peri Partum Cardiomyopathy. With this diagnosis, came the STRONG recommendation that I NEVER become pregnant again. This wasn't easy to hear, and even harder to accept.

Over the years I have learned to no longer mourn the lose of our dream, and express gratitude for the gift of having one child.

I have often been asked why we only have one child, and would answer with our story.

Then, in March, my sister and I were shopping for our future sister-in-law's bridal shower. I was approached by a sister in our ward. She let me know that her daughter was pregnant and considering adoption. She told us that she felt prompted by the Spirit to talk to me, and asked if she could talk to her daughter about Breton and I becoming the adoptive couple. I told her I would have to talk to Breton, but please keep us informed.

We then meet with LDS Family Services ( http://www.providentliving.org/familyservices/strength/0,12264,2873-1,00.html ), a private adoption agency owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( www.lds.org ). Through the gracious assistance of a family member, we were able to fund the application process. Also, we were motivated to complete a few things on our to do list. I was buoyed up by this counsel from our caseworker- If this adoption is the Lord's will; it will happen despite our best efforts.

As we began to spend time with our birth mom, I began to fall in love with her, and our future daughter. I began to appreciate the sacrifice that she was making. I will never be able to fully comprehend the Atonement of Christ, but this has brought me a whole lot closer.

Our family had the opportunity to become whole because a beautiful daughter of God made the Christ-like decision to allow her daughter to have a mother and father for eternity. Also, her family and friends supported her decision 100%. Even when she was questioned and doubted by many others.

My prayer is that I will live up to this wonderful opportunity. I know that I will through the small things that we have been commanded to do: prayer, scripture study, temple attendance, Family Home Evening etc.. With the Lord all things are possible!